We are the first strand-woven high-pressure bamboo laminate manufacturer in Indonesia, supplying our clients with a uniquely long bamboo laminate that can be used for parquet flooring, walling, furniture production and for general construction needs.
The founder of Indobamboo, Arief, is a second generation bamboo specialist, following in the footsteps of his mother Linda Garland, who founded the Environmental Bamboo Foundation. Linda is well-regarded for putting in place the ground work that made many giant leaps possible for industrialists, designers and scientists focused on bamboo, helping push the international development in bamboo industry. Arief is an environmental scientist in his own right with over 15 years of experience in bamboo forest management and production.
Linda Garland, an international designer and environmentalist, has made her home in Indonesia for over 20 years. Ms. Garland has focused her energy solely upon finding a solution to environmental concerns regarding the worlds diminishing tropical forest resources. Her efforts were to first create the Environmental Bamboo Foundation (IBF) in 1991 in order to incorporate a multidisciplinary approach to developing bamboo as an environmentally renewable non-wood forest resource. In January, 1995, the IBF was granted non-profit status and received its first funding for educational programs introduced at the IVth International Bamboo Congress held in Bali that year.
In 1995, Ms Garland was conferred a degree of Doctor of Philosophy by the Forest Research Institute in Dehradun, India. Her prolific work and variety of designs within the Indonesian community were such a stimulus to the village economies that in 1990 she was given the Upakati award, the highest national honor, from the president of Indonesia for her “unselfish contributions to the nation of Indonesia”. Also in 1995 Linda Garland was declared one of the world’s top 50 designers by Architectural Digest.
We are a bamboo laminate manufacturing company based in Bali, Indonesia. We are the first strand-woven high-pressure bamboo laminate manufacturer in Indonesia, supplying our clients with a uniquely long bamboo laminate that can be used for parquet flooring, walling, furniture production and for general construction needs.
We were established in 2009 and are based in Bali, where we have a state of the art factory. We employ over 100 people and use technology and machinery direct from USA to combine the best of both worlds.
Our Bamboo Forests & Communities
We in Indonesia need to reforest over 60 million hectares of degraded land. Bamboo is a key part of the solution for reforesting the degraded lands of Indonesia.
Bamboo forests have huge benefits for the environment:
1. A bamboo clump is a water holding tank of the topsoil, sustaining all the components of the living ecosystem around it because of its water holding capacity. One bamboo clump holds over 5000 liters of water.
2. The bamboo industry in Indonesia has the ability to absorb 100 megatons of carbon per annum. 50 tons of carbon dioxide absorbed per hectare of bamboo per year.
3. Bamboo can yield up to 50 tons of product per hectare per year. Timber plantations can only yield about 30-40 tons per hectare maximum.
At Indobamboo, we feel it is our responsibility to significantly contribute and be involved with the management of the bamboo forests and the communities supplying our materials. We do this through our Sustainable Bamboo Forests program or Program Hutan Bambu Lestari. The Hutan Bambu Lestari program has received a very enthusiastic response from the local government and local communities.
The program includes:
1. Leasing of bamboo clumps and partnerships (MOU) between the bamboo owners and Indobamboo.
2. Supporting nurseries and fertilizing so bamboo grows faster and thrives
3. Providing training programs for the local community about the characteristics of bamboo, harvesting and cultivating techniques, the utilization of bamboo (leaf and root branch).
4. Business development for community-based craft and housing enterprises.